Sunday 15 January 2012

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie! Out! Out! Out!

The Thatcher film, The Iron Lady, has reawakened many of the feelings she provoked back in the 70s and 80s. She was such a polarising figure, so it's not surprising to hear and read the extreme reactions in the media. I remember the badges everyone in my entourage wore in 1979 after she won the election, "I didn't vote Tory". And no, I didn't vote for her, ever.
Some American journalists express amazement that the Brits don't love and adulate her. They weren't living with her in power, and don't live with her legacy! Who remembers the privatisation of state owned companies? The Falklands war? Unemployment of 3 000 000? Rate capping? The Brixton and Liverpool riots? The closure of British manufacturing industry? The Poll Tax? The cuts to public spending in education and health? Her apparent heartlessness towards those with no resources? Militant?
You were either for her or against her. Friendships broke down over her, and were forged by uniting people in opposition.
We moved to France in 1988 to escape the country she had turned the UK into. I won't be going to see the film. I have been surprised that I am still so angry about her, and need to work on "anger management" before I go to the cinema! Is anyone else still angry?

1 comment:

  1. Quite agree - a polarizing effect and yes! still angry! Abandoning the Fair Rent Act and not paying B&B emergency fees for under 18s, suddenly homeless, were two of my 'favourites'.

    ReplyDelete